Monday, August 4, 2008

Battle Proms

So, I was waiting to post this in the hopes of getting some better pictures from some of my friends, but I'd better just go ahead and make do with what I've got.

Saturday, July 12th, we went to Battle Proms with a bunch of the other ISEs. It was held at Burghley House, which is a stately house in Stamford, not far from Peterborough. For you Pride and Prejudice fans, it was used as the home of Darcy's aunt in the recent movie...



It sort of felt like a 4th of July celebration (there was even a real American flag there, courtesy of some other Americans who happened to be there--see photo below!), although to my knowledge there wasn't any particular national association to this celebration. We had a picnic supper, and there was music, cavalry demonstrations, a Spitfire plane that did some fancy flying, cannons, and of course, fireworks.



I was, admittedly, a bit hesitant to attempt an outing that started at suppertime and wouldn't end until 11pm or so with Madeline. But it went fine--she was actually really pretty good. It helped that she had friends to play with: especially her good friend Addie, and Addie's mom, my friend Corrina.



I didn't get any pictures of the cavalry or the plane (which Madeline LOVED) or the cannons (which she didn't) or the fireworks (which we sort of convinced her to like), but here's some general shots of the fun:







No comments: