Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Pumpkin" Festival

I must really have bad karma when it comes to food-themed festivals. It's getting to be something of a family joke.
It all started with the infamous "Cherry Festival" right after we moved to Illinois. There was not a single cherry in sight. All it was was a really cheap carnival.
Today the trend continued. As a big fan of Halloween, specifically the beautiful fall colors and pumpkin farms, I was excited to see that a local farm was having a "Pumpkin Festival" today. I promptly put it on the calendar and informed Bill that he was taking Madeline and I to it. I told Madeline we were going to a farm to get her a pumpkin. She was really excited, and talked about getting a "pumpkin for Madeline" the whole way there. Never make promises to a toddler if you don't have total control over the outcome...
It wasn't quite as bad as the Cherry Festival. There were a few, small pumpkins. They had a pumpkin sling shot, and at specific times (none while we were there) they had pumpkin carving. But we did not see a single pumpkin for sale ANYWHERE.
Now, it wasn't a total waste of time and money--Madeline actually did have fun seeing, holding, and feeding all the animals. And there was play equipment. And the weather was great. All told, we spent about two hours there, in fact.
But we came home without a pumpkin for Madeline.
I told her I'd buy her one at the grocery store. Sigh.




4 comments:

Cathren12 (mom) said...

Yeah, pumpkin season is a bit disappointing over here. Fall is my favorite season & pumpkins are a natural part of that. However, I did see at our local COOP yesterday pumpkins - non at Tesco, Sainsbury, or Morrisons, but the COOP - who knew.
Last week the girls wanted to paint a pumpkin, with no pumpkins to be bought, they proceeded to paint rocks. I need to take a picture of them & blog about it :-)

Eyepoke said...

ah, no pumpkins! leave it to you to find the only pumpkin festival without pumpkins! i'd send you one from the states, but it's be all mush by the time it got to you! hope you find one before halloween at least!
liz

Eyepoke said...

Huge. Your child. I didn't know they grew at that rate. How disconcerting.

Emily said...

Look who's talking, Mr. "My daughter is in SCHOOL already!"