Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving, a Little Early...

Today was our annual ISE Thanksgiving dinner. It was SO different for me than last year's! Last year, we'd been here for all of two weeks or so. I knew almost no one. We didn't have any of our stuff (our shipment hadn't arrived yet). I was so homesick, and so overwhelmed, and it was so hard listening to everyone talking about how they were all going home for Christmas, when I knew I wouldn't be going home for over a year.
This year, I knew nearly all of the people there, and many of them are good friends. We're about as settled into this country as we're going to get, and I'm leaving to go back home for Christmas in three weeks! Needless to say, it was much more relaxed and much more fun for me than last year.
So, I am thankful for: the new friends I've made in the past year. Having our own furniture, etc. and not having had to pay to get it here ourselves! The opportunity to go home and see our families soon. Being used to living in England, even if I do still like the USA better. :-) And, of course, all of the other blessings we have, even if I am too lazy to type them all in here.
I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few to give an idea of just how many of us there are--I think they said there were about 130 people there today.




I know it looks like Bill's glaring at me for taking a picture, but really, he's not! Those are our friends, the Dobberfuhls, across the table from us--Lana, thanks for smiling so it looks like someone, at least, wanted this picture taken...


And this last picture was taken/made by one of our ISE friends whose hobby is photography. Thanks, Laurie! If you click on it to enlarge it, I think you'll find it's pretty easy to find Madeline...

6 comments:

lizS said...

wow, emily, i'm so happy that you're all settled, and this year was better than last year!! and you are coming home??!! when exactly, and are you going to be anywhere near me? like, for example, if you were to say, make a stop at peoria, i could see myself meeting you there...

Emily said...

Liz-
We'll be "home" for almost a month from mid-December to early January, but we're only going to Oklahoma and Wisconsin (unless you count airplane layovers...). So while I would LOVE to see you, I doubt you want to meet me anywhere that far away!!

lizS said...

awww! too bad! i guess i'll have to wait till you're back in the states for good. *sniff*

Anna said...

Emily,
Looks like fun. It is funny Lana Dobberful is in your pictures. She was in my parents ward back here in Morton. I met her a couple of times I doubt she remembers but she is super sweet. Well I hope your holidays are fun and the travel is easy and uneventful at this busy time of year. I am glad you are enjoying your overseas experience a little more now. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays.

Maria said...

Emily I love reading about your experiences abroad. I am currently in a similar situation and I can totally relate with feeling bummed I don't get to go home for Christmas. Although we do have some pretty fun plans to make up for that. It looks like you are doing well, and that makes me glad. Take care.

Lana said...

You're welcome for the smile. And thanks for letting me bum the photos off of you and copy them onto my own blog. Haha! Have a great weekend in Stoke-on-Trent.