Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trick-or-Treat


Here's our fairy princess all dressed up and ready to go trick-or-treating!
Halloween isn't quite as big here as it is in the States, but our friends and fellow ISEs Corrina and Kevin had invited a bunch of us over to a party and some trick-or-treating in their neighborhood, since they knew their neighbors would be handing out candy.
Bill and I had really talked Halloween up to Madeline in an attempt to prepare her for the new experience, especially as she REALLY doesn't like masks and most costumes on other people. So she was super excited to get to "Corrina's house" and go "trick-or-treat"ing to get "candy"!
Murphy's law, naturally, came into force. The drive that should have taken about 15 minutes took us well over an hour, because there was an accident on the road, so we just sat there at a dead stop for a long, long time. Made even longer by having a frustrated two-year-old in the back seat, who didn't understand why Mommy wasn't taking her to the party like she'd promised! By the time we finally got there (and met Bill, who'd just gone straight there after work), the rest of the party had pretty much finished trick-or-treating.
Luckily, it was Madeline's first time truly taking part in Halloween, so she didn't really have any expectations. So Bill and I took her around to about 5 or 6 houses by ourselves, and she didn't know that she'd missed anything!
So all's well that ends well, and we had a great time at the party. Thanks to Corrina and Kevin, for throwing a terrific bash! Sorry I don't have any pictures of the actual event--I was a bit frazzled when we finally arrived, and forgot to get the camera out of the car...

12 comments:

lizS said...

aw! she's looks so cute! sorry about your disaterous car ride, that's awful! glad you eventually got to have fun in the end. ;)

lizS said...

by the way emily, i don't think i mentioned before that i'm loving the flurry of posts you've got goin' on lately. i love keeping up with you guys!! miss you!

Emily said...

Thanks, Liz. I guess that's you giving me some motivation to keep up with it, hey? (grin!)

Cathren12 (mom) said...

she does look like a little princess!
Ain't driving over here a dream :-) there aren't many back roads you can take whenever there is an accident & no places to turn around, except the round abouts. Oh well, at least you made it!

Schmitt Family said...

Emily,
Wow that is weird, VanCleave is just so more natural.
Your little girl is so adorable. You look great and happy.
Guess who actually married my bro, and is expecting her fourth child...Nebeker. I think this one is due in June.
It is nice to see you again.
Watson

Eyepoke said...

So! Wierd am I? I'm hurt! I'm crushed! May a moody baby doom a yam?

Important!:
Please do not approve this message for publication until midnight-exactly, PEORIA TIME, Nov somthing or other, some year that escapes me.

Emily said...

You'll get over it.
Incidentally, you didn't specify WHICH Peoria, so I got to post it whenever I wanted.
And I don't know if a moody baby can doom a yam, but; Em and I put sad Ahehsay away, as he had a stupid name.

Eyepoke said...

WOW! that's an awesome one! I have never heard that one before! Very Very Impressive!! You rule.

Please publish this comment, then count to a 400 by .00179ths, then delete.

Alpha Charlie Nexus Quantum!

Emily said...

Thanks for the compliment, but if you think I have time to count past 10, let alone 223,463... you must not remember what it's like to have a 2 year old!

lizS said...

um, we HAVE a two year old...until the twentieth that is, then he'll be three. and you guys make me laugh! like tears rolling down my face laugh!

Emily said...

Well, sure, but just because YOU know you have a two-year-old doesn't mean your husband remembers it. Guys are notorious for being forgetful, after all...

lizS said...

LOL! keep digging emily...