Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween

I like Halloween. I like pumpkins. It's probably a throwback to one of my first ever jobs--I worked at a pumpkin farm.
So Friday we went to get "Madeline" a pumpkin for Halloween. I got one too, but that's just coincidence, right?



We got them home, and Bill helped Madeline pick what kind of face she wanted on her pumpkin. She was fine through cutting the top off, scooping all the insides out (she really likes that part), and drawing the face on. But when Bill started cutting the face out, Madeline got really upset: "Daddy, you're hurting my pumpkin!!" We tried to explain that that's how you make a jack-o-lantern, and that otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the candlelight through the face, but she was still extremely concerned. Finally I brought her in to look at all the pictures of us doing it last year, and showed her how they looked when they were all done. That seemed to do the trick, and Bill was allowed to finish the carving. I did mine, too...


And here they are, all lit up. Madeline was pretty happy.



The next day, Saturday, we went up to the Dea's house for the annual ISE trick-or-treating extravaganza. It was so cute to see all the kids dressed up! Madeline was Cinderella, though she didn't want to keep her crown on. She must not have really remembered trick-or-treating from last year (which kind of surprises me, as she has an astonishing memory) because she was saying, "Mommy, they gave me CANDY!" with a rather amazed look on her face the first couple of doors!



Unfortunately, her dress was more than a little too long for her. It wouldn't have mattered, except it had been raining earlier in the day, and I'm not too sure how washable the dress is. We started out having her hold it up, but then she couldn't use her hands to get the candy. So I got to play "bridesmaid". It was kind of cute, actually. I especially get a kick out of the wellies (rain boots). When in Britain...



Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments: