Tuesday, May 6, 2008

London's Calling!


My parents are in town (more on that in a later post), and after much arm-twisting (yeah, right!) agreed to babysit Madeline for Bill and I so we could go on an adults-only trip to London for a couple of days. I had been looking forward to this for MONTHS! I love my daughter, I really do. But sometimes it's good to remember what it's like to be able to do whatever you want to without worrying first about whether or not it's "Madeline-friendly." And talking to someone who can talk back in full sentences is nice, too!

We left Thursday late morning and took the train into London. We stayed at a VERY nice hotel in Kensington, which was a great neighborhood to be in--easy access to the heart of things, but nice and quiet and residential for when you want a break from the hustle and bustle. We walked around the Natural History Museum for awhile in the afternoon (free is always good...)


Supper Thursday evening was at the Texas Embassy Cantina--Bill's choice. He's been dying for some Mexican food for the past 6 months! Thursday night we went to Les Miserables!!! I've wanted to see that for years, and it was well worth the wait. Our seats were amazing--dead center and only 4 rows back from the stage. What a show! I wish I'd brought my camera. I didn't know I could...

Friday we slept in (no automatic alarm clock courtesy of Madeline!) then went into London to do some of the typical touristy things. We took a boat ride on the Thames and toured the Tower of London courtesy of Bill's parents (tickets for those things were our Christmas present from them this year).



Did some just walking around, then took the bus tour of the city--a nice way to see a little of everything.




Walked around Buckingham palace and Green Park a bit, then headed back to Kensington for supper at a nice Italian place and a movie back at the hotel.



Saturday we slept in a little, then went back into London to catch a ride on the London Eye (great view!) before going to the train station to meet my sister at noon, at which point we headed back to Peterborough together.




It was a short weekend, and there are still loads of things I'd like to do and see in London yet, but it was a great trip and so relaxing to do it sans toddler! Thanks, Mom and Dad!!

3 comments:

Cathren12 (mom) said...

I did not know you had a blog site... I am so glad I found it today. Sounds like you had a great time in London. Isn't it crazy to think we are an hour away from London & could go just about anytime (of course not taking into account the kids or anything...). Continue to enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Sannali said...

Wow, lucky you!

Maria said...

I completely understand about the need to spend some time with your hubby. Nathan and I just took a weekend for ourselves while in DC, thanks to my parents. It was the best weekend we have had in a long time.

You are looking great by the way. I am glad you are doing well. Love, Maria Pivaral Lewis