Thursday, May 22, 2008

There's Nothing Quite Like Family...

As mentioned in my post about our trip to London, part of my family (we missed you, Lisa and Garrick!) was just recently here for a visit. We actually didn't see a whole lot of them, even though they were in the UK for about two and a half weeks. They spent the weeks out being tourists (first week Scotland and the Lake District, second week London, Bath, Stonehenge, etc.), and the weekends with us. But the first weekend, we were being tourists ourselves (London trip), so I only had two weekends with my family. Not that I'm complaining--it was great to see them at all, and I'm really glad that they had such a great time on their vacation. It was hard to say goodbye, though!




Madeline LOVED her Grandma, Grandpa, and Aunt Karen. It was really neat for me to get to see her enjoying time with her relatives, and obviously bonding with them. It's been seven months since she's seen any of them, so she's changed and grown a lot since the last time they were together. I think they enjoyed seeing her funny, outgoing, strong, sweet personality blooming.






We did make one day trip with my family the weekend we were all together. We drove over to Cambridge (about an hour from here), and did the traditional punt tour along the River Cam. We were glad we'd gotten there earlier in the day, as the river was still fairly uncrowded and quiet. It was very nice.






We also went to King's College Chapel,



wandered through a market, and walked (longer than we expected) to a really nice park to have a picnic lunch. It was a good day, and it wore out Madeline!




Other than that, we just kind of hung out at our house, and enjoyed the amazing weather we were having. My poor family packed for normal UK spring weather (highs in the 60s, rainy) and instead ended up being here for near record highs (mid to upper 70s and sunny). We had to go buy them some short-sleeved shirts and shorts at Tesco! (Kind of like Walmart)



Thanks, Mom, Dad, and Karen, for making the trip out to see us! I miss you already.

4 comments:

Cathren12 (mom) said...

It's good to see family isn't it. We haven't been to Cambridge yet; I keep meaning to take a Saturday road trip. I hear there is a Chilli's restaurant there (that is enough to make you want to make the trip). Hope the weather continues to cooperate for us all ~ enjoy it while it lasts.

lizS said...

it is nice to see family! it must be so hard being so far away! (although, i'm sure there are advantages...as well as disadvantages of course :)) i'm glad you got to see them! and i'm glad the weather was so awesome! we're getting hammered here in the good ole midwest. they don't call it tornado season for nothin'! and thunderstorms...mmm boy! we had 60mph winds last night! fun stuff. enjoy your weather! love you guys!

Holli said...

So glad to have found you! and now I can spy on you as much as I do the other aliens!:) See you tomorrow!

Charity said...

I stumbled upon your blog through Pam's, and just had to let you know that I LOVE your hair. That cut looks fabulous on you. It sounds like you're enjoying England, and looks like your little girl is growing up too!!